Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New bands That Sound Like Bands I Like.

For a band that only started gigging a year ago 'Freelance Whales' are doing pretty well. Their album 'Weathervanes' has been receiving very favorable reviews from the critics. I haven't heard the whole album yet but here's a track from it that I particularly like. It's got a real Sufjan Stevens feel which in my books is a good thing. Plus I've got a weird love of songs with the word 'horse' in the title. No kidding.



Fanfarlo, another newish band. I guess how much you like this band will depend a lot on what you think of Simon Balthazar's voice. I like it, I also like Alec Ounsworth's voice (lead singer of 'Clap Your Hands Say Yeah') so this comes as no surprise. Fanfarlo's debut album 'Reservoir' gets two thumbs up from me.

2 comments:

amawaster said...

saw fanfarlo in a field in wales two years ago, lovely stuff. also like the way they put their album on the net for just $1 and got tens of thousands of downloads.

Laurarosep said...

Oh cool! I only discovered them recently. I heard about them on the allsongsconsidered podcast. Glad to hear they're good live. Saw some of their covers on youtube too. I really like the 'Aeroplane Over the Sea' cover.