Friday, July 30, 2010

When Old Becomes New

I was thinking recently about song covers, recorded ones specifically. Cover bands and songs musicians cover at gigs is a different story. I generally don't have any issues with a song being covered if it's adapted in some way to make it a little bit original. Otherwise, I just don't really see the point in it. So I've compiled a playlist of 10 cover versions of songs that I feel have transformed the original into a familiar but still unique piece of music. In no particular order...

Original by Modest Mouse


Original by The Shins


Original by Metallica


Original by Massive Attack


Original by NIN


Original by The Velvet Underground


Original by Nina Simone


Original by Smashing Pumpkins


Original by Dolly Parton


Original by Daniel Johnston


For the record, I'm not claiming any of these are better than the originals!





3 comments:

Richard Bradshaw said...

Try these covers: http://www.youtube.com/user/PomplamooseMusic

Some of them are fantastic!

Laurarosep said...

Yeah, I've come across the lady before. She's great. Very original covers too which I appreciate.

Alex said...

Wow.. That Cat Power track is beautiful. Never heard it before, or the original, despite having lots of stuff by both her and VU. Thanks for the introduction!